It’s a snow day. My house is unusally tidy. Everyone is fed, clean, and busy. So I opened up WordPress and took a look at what drafts I have in the pipeline. And I couldn’t believe what I saw.
I didn’t post once in 2018. Not one single time.
Man, time just slips by sometimes. You step away from a project just to catch your breath and an entire year goes by.
My last published post was October 10. I didn’t forget about this blog, and I didn’t stop caring. I wasn’t any more busy and if anything I became even more committed to the idea that motherhood and family life is more joy and whimsy than the messy, soul-destroying drudgery that’s so often portrayed in popular culture.
So I think it’s time for a declaration – to myself and to my
readers reader – that it’s time to recommit to sharing my testimony of mom life as the good life. Not because motherhood is built on martyrdom and sacrifice that you’re morally required to endorse, but because it’s just plain fun – most of the time.
Just as a refresher, here is what this blog is about:
- Play – And why you should probably do it more. Play casts a pretty wide net when we decide we can do almost anything for the purpose of enjoyment. Even the laundry.
- Life beyond the preschool years – these years ROCK and it is the perfect time to get back in touch with what you enjoy, especially if you forgot what that looked like when you were elbow-deep in diapers.
- Living a whole life – You are teaching your kids how to be adults! Do you want your kids to be stressed-out, exhausted, miserable wretches? No? Then don’t be that.
I don’t believe that there is necessarily enjoyment in everything. That’s overly sentimental for my tastes. You are not required to cherish the moment your kid threw up on you. (Yes, this happened to me recently.) But maybe you can laugh about it later. (I do.)
But for now, my goal is to lean super hard into the things I enjoy. Then, I’m going to leverage that during the stomach flu moments.
In case you’re curious, these are the things I’ve decided that I enjoy quite a bit:
- Amusement Parks
- Personality Typing
- Watching my kids’ sports and activities
- Travel (sometimes)
- Self Help Books
- Running (sometimes)
- Planners and Planning
- Easy recipes nobody complains about
- Sleeping (and waking up refreshed in the morning!)
- Home projects
- My personal blogging gurus (I have a list…more on this later.)
If you like any of these things, you may like this blog, because these are the things I’m going to write about. Sometimes I’ll write about the really deep stuff, but, honestly, not everything is super deep, and not everything has to be. Hey, maybe that’s the key to key to publishing more than once a year!